Research shows that many applicants who would be successful in a position are reluctant to apply unless they meet every listed requirement. We encourage applications from candidates who do not meet all the listed requirements, but who believe they have the ability to grow and thrive in a role at Stanford Impact Labs. Stanford Impact Labs is strongly committed to racial and social justice. To that end, we particularly encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply for open positions.
Director of Strategic Outreach and Communications
What You’ll Do
Stanford Impact Labs seeks a Director of Strategic Communications and Outreach to increase the impact and influence of its work. In this role, you will position Stanford Impact Labs as a new model for connecting academic researchers with partners outside the university in nonprofit and community organizations, government, tech, media, and philanthropy to build evidence and practical solutions to social problems. To do this, you will need to develop an active and integrated communications and outreach strategy that combines relationship-building, online engagement, storytelling, publications, and lively events.
The director’s responsibilities will include:
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership: Be aware of emerging trends relevant to Stanford Impact Labs’ work and advise the team on how to take advantage of current and emerging opportunities.
Communications Operations: Build and lead an integrated communications program, combining online engagement, media relations, newsletters, blogs, social media, events, and outreach with government, nonprofit, business, and private philanthropy.
Team Development and Management: Build a small and effective communications and outreach team committed to high performance, collegiality, experimentation, and learning.
Who You Are
- You have a bachelor’s degree and at least seven years of experience, or a combination of education and experience. (We anticipate the right candidate may have significantly more than seven years’ experience, including at senior levels within organizations).
- You have excellent written communication skills, reporting skills, and advanced skills in editing.
- You have the ability to work collaboratively with internal communications groups across campus.
- You have demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with a variety of people.
- You have the ability to write and synthesize materials and communicate information in audience-friendly ways.
Stanford Impact Labs hires on an as-needed basis. Our open roles are up to date. However, if you are interested in employment with Stanford Impact Labs in any other capacity, please submit your resume through the link below. We will review this candidate pool periodically and reach out to candidates who meet our needs as we grow. Thank you for your interest!
Intern (General Interest)
Stanford Impact Labs hires interns year-round on an as-needed basis. If you are interested in an internship with Stanford Impact Labs, please submit your resume through the link below. We will review this candidate pool and reach out to candidates who meet our needs. Thank you for your interest!
Our labs are hiring!
Research Director, RegLab
The Regulation, Evaluation, and Governance Lab (RegLab) at Stanford University is looking for a Research Director to join our interdisciplinary team.
Stanford RegLab is a social impact lab that partners with government and nonprofits to use machine learning and data science to modernize the public sector. We are an interdisciplinary team of lawyers, data scientists, social scientists, and engineers who are passionate about building high impact demonstration projects for the future of governance. Some of our partners include the EPA, IRS, DOL, and Santa Clara County Public Health.
As a Research Director, you will lead one of our main portfolios of research – which include using satellite imagery to strengthen environmental governance; AI and active learning to improve tax compliance; and NLP methods to make mass adjudication more fair and accurate. You will manage teams composed of both full-time research fellows and data scientists and part-time students and affiliated scholars, and you will use your creativity, technical skills, and capacity for mentorship to drive forward our research. This position will report directly to the Faculty Director and work closely with the rest of our leadership team. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, a great communicator, and motivated by the opportunity to answer research questions that help solve urgent social problems.
- Apply advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts to assigned project or project leadership for a phase of, or all of, a major engineering or scientific research project/program. Work in collaboration with senior research staff members.
- Provide leadership and scientific expertise in the planning and implementation of major projects, services, facilities, and activities.
- Develop advanced technological ideas, and guide their development into a final product or new approaches to research. Carry out complex or unique assignments important to the advancement of the field.
- Provide expert consultation and collaboration regarding technical requirements, capabilities, and advancement opportunities; make substantive contributions in diverse technical areas.
- Provide technical direction to other research staff, engineering associates, technicians, and/or students; facilitate workshops and demonstrations on research methods; educate and train users on research methodology and effective tools and techniques.
- Contribute to or co-author published articles, presentations, or scientific papers; identify research and development funding opportunities.
- Supervise staff and resources to meet program objectives.
- A bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience required; PhDs may be particularly well-suited.
- Expert knowledge of the principles of engineering and related natural sciences.
- Demonstrated project leadership experience.
- Demonstrated experience leading and/or managing technical professionals.
Nice to Haves:
- Academically-minded, with experience working in an academic setting
Salary and Benefits: This position is for an initial one-year fixed term period with the opportunity for extension and/or transition to ongoing status based on performance and budget. Salary is competitive. Stanford provides excellent retirement plans, time-off, and family care resources, which you can read more about here: https://cardinalatwork.stanford.edu/benefits-rewards.
Application Instructions: We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply for Job" button found on the cardinal careers website found [here]. To be considered, please submit the following items along with your online application:
- Transcript (if graduated within 3 years)
- Project and code samples or Github
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.